Facebook....and old friends

I love, love, love Facebook. I am obsessed with Facebook. I now check Facebook before I check my email. My friends are on Facebook, my daughters are on Facebook, my family is on Facebook and even my Dad is on Facebook.

When I first got on Facebook, I wondered what the big deal was. Why was it so important to tell EVERYONE, EVERY SINGLE THING I was doing....at that VERY moment...ALL day long?? I felt like I was a peeping tom, staring into the personal windows of everyone I knew...as well as their friends and their friends' friends! And then I remembered my letter writing promise I made earlier in the year. And I remembered the black phone we had at home...our number was 3029. Period. Just those four numbers! Letter writing, waiting on boyfriends to call after school, and calling grandparents on Sunday afternoons in college, were part of our non-technological life while growing up. That's how we kept in touch. To make sure everyone was ok, to see what was going on at school, to share the joys and blessings and maybe some bad stuff. But things have changed...and I LOVE it!

I am now in touch with childhood friends of my parents, my childhood friends, my college roommates, my VMO friends (ahhh - who knows what THAT is!:) my church friends, my choir peeps, my daughters, my godson (Nathan!), children I babysat (who are now adults with children of their own) and people I haven't talked to in years. What is it about email and Facebook that makes you automatically feel close to someone again? I have even gotten close to a childhood friend's wife (Jill) whom I have NEVER laid eyes on....except her gorgeous FB pictures!: ) I am planning on going to Las Vegas to meet her this summer and I know when we meet, we will be like old friends that haven't seen each other in years and we just need to catch up! (My sweet friend Shannon even met her precious friend Dory through her blog. )

I love Facebook for new friendships (Jill), for old friends (my precious Crockett bunch) who are new again, for prayer requests, for family I see often (Dad, Amy, Michael) and for family I don't see often (Tosh, Smith, Mary Beth, Rig, Gordon, Earlynne, Tommy and Claire), for daughters keeping in touch, for laughter (Trisha and Andrea!), for randomness, for seeing families and children of old friends that I've never met, for keeping up with people and their successes (Michael S.) and just for fun. There is this strange bond that keeps us all together through technology. I just feel like I know 'em and love 'em all! Ain't it great!!??! I'm thinking of having a Facebook get-together at my house...just for my friends!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

It is GRAND isn't it? I've had dinner with two friends recently that I haven't seen in over 20 years- what a treat! I LOVE it!