
WOW. It's been 43 years since I started Kindergarten. (Can you find me in the picture?) I was at Target today and saw several families shopping for school supplies and it made me think about this picture, about shopping for supplies with Katy and Kelsey each year, and about how I wouldn't ever be buying their school supplies again. (Do college tuition and car payments count as school supplies!?) I listened to a little girl BEG her mother for a certain backpack and the mother saying she really didn't need it. I thought about the many times that I probably said that to Katy or to Kelsey. Looking back now, what difference would it have made? I always loved the first day of school when I was little. New clothes, new shoes, new pencils, a pencil pouch, paste (not glue - paste), and a satchel (not a backpack - a satchel). I remember getting to keep my own supplies. Not like today where kids "hand them in" so that everyone can share...just in case someone doesn't have any. It was a parent's responsibility to give their children what they needed to start school. Did I give my daughters what they needed to start school? Was it enough? Did I give them what they needed to start their lives as young women? Was it enough? I sure hope so.
1 comment:
I was so excited to see you had posted this morning- what a treat! I too love the beginning of school and all the promises of a new beginning, a new year.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that although you may not have given your girls every single new "thing" they wanted, you gave them what truly matters- a mother who loves, relies on, and seeks God. With that example, and their trust in the Lord, they have everything they need!
Post a Comment