Listen To This...

"Do you hear yourself when you are speaking
and really listen to what you are saying?"
Saw this on a blog prompt site today. I SO wanted to go to the next prompt. So I did...several times....but kept coming back to this one. There are times, I believe, that what I have said is important. "Mommy loves you," "Hold my hand while we're crossing the street," "That does NOT match!," "Hold your fork like this," "Give it all to Jesus," "Let's say our prayers," "Be nice to your sister," "I love you...I really do love you with my whole heart."

My voice is irritating. I realize this. I hear it on a tape recorder and want to bury my head in the sand. (So right up front, for those of you that have to listen to me speak, I apologize for the nails-on-the-chalkboard-kind-of-pain that my voice might bring to you! : ) I've always wished for a slooowww soft Southern Georgia Drawl. Maybe I'll just start talking like that on purpose. Don't ask me why I'm talking like that if you hear me do it. : )

My grandmother always told me I talk too fast. Yes, I do. I'll work on that. I also talk too much. I'll work on that, too.

But...do I really hear myself and really listen to what I'm saying. Nope. Not most of the time. And I know people that are the exact same way. Why in the WORLD do I feel like I have to talk above others? Seriously?! Daddy always said that's why God gave us two ears and one mouth. So....I'm working on that, too! : )

So my sweet friends, if there are times that all of a sudden you hear an abyss of silence....it's me working on listening more! : ) I think Mr. Wonderful and K2 are gonna LOVE this!

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Oh my sweetest southern girlfriend - I love you just the way you are and I can TOTALLY relate. I appreciate what you are saying, but you just won't be my Donna if you change all that. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you all the way. I think I sound completely annoying and just people tell me all the time that they love the way I talk. Go figure.