Snail Mail - A New Year's Resolution?



It's hard to believe that it's been a year since I started blogging! I even trained on it this year in our district. I hope to do better this year. It really is great therapy for me to "write" down thoughts and feelings...whether people want to read it or not. : ) I have absolutely loved reading my friends' blogs and seeing what they are up to. I have been able to keep in touch with friends, family, former students and kids (adult kids) that I used to babysit who now have families of their own. But...

Even as a little girl, I wrote letters. You remember those? The ones you'd write by hand, using stationery and a blue Bic ink pen. I loved, loved, loved going to the drugstore and picking out a package of stationery. Loved it. You'd have to actually buy a stamp and either go to the post office (which I also loved as a child) or put it in your mailbox on your front porch with the flag up.

Everyday...every single day...I go to the mailbox (the physical one outside) and hope to find a letter from someone. It hasn't happened in years. (I think that's why I love getting Christmas cards.) I remember in college how I'd go to the mailbox in the dorm and there would always be an encouraging letter from my mother or one of my grandmothers. Mamaw always put the Upper Room in hers or a Guidepost article that she had found. I have saved all those many letters and love going back to read them. There was/is something comforting about seeing their handwriting. Something personal between the writer and the reader. Mamaw was such a great letter writer, that she actually had a stamp dispenser that I LOVED. I have that stamp dispenser and think I might use it this year...can you still buy rolls of stamps??!! : )

Times have certainly changed and so now, every morning, I grab my cup of coffee and see if I've got "mail". I read my friends' blogs, check my personal email and check my work email. There's always something there! I think this year, I will do better about writing "real" letters. Snail mail. There's nothing better than getting a real letter or a card from someone. That's what I PLAN to do. But if you don't get anything from me in your real mailbox, just check your inbox!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Happy New Year sweet friend! I too love what I call "good mail" and have resolved to send more of it myself.